The Marriott Library is a Selective member of the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP).
This library is a congressionally designated depository for U.S. Government documents. Public access to the government documents collection is guaranteed by public law. (Title 44 United States Code)
Services We Offer
- Depository collections of U.S. federal government publications (including patents and trademarks), United Nations, and European Union publications.
- Reference services to help you find and use materials published by government offices and agencies. Librarians on staff are research experts who can help you use online and historical government information, government statistical data, patents, trademarks and international documents. Contact us to ask a question or schedule a research consultation.
- Workshops on how to use government sources such as Thomas (legislative information), American Factfinder (demographic information from the U.S. Census), or the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office search engines.
- Classroom instruction on how to use government research sources. Contact us to schedule a library session for your class.
- Acquisition of government publications and related materials that support the mission of the Marriott Library. Suggest a purchase.
- Microform scanners, located in the Knowledge Commons, to make our extensive microform legacy collections more useful.
Dave Morrison, Federal Documents Librarian email@example.com
The J. Willard Marriott Library has been a depository for publications from the United States Government since 1893. This collection of government publications is particularly strong in the areas of census data, legislative materials, compilations of government statistics in areas of business and labor, mining, geological and earth sciences and international relations.
- Federal Documents Research Guide
- Political Science & Public Administration Research Guide
Some useful government information Search Engines
Scott Reiter, depository contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Marriott Library has an extensive collection of historical Utah State Documents in our Special Collections Division.
Utah state publications are housed in Special Collections
Jill Moriearty, U.N. Documents Librarian email@example.com
The Marriott Library has been a United Nations depository since 1968. Publications include UN "masthead" documents (the working papers of the bodies of the UN, from the General Assembly to Ad Hoc committees), monographs, and serials.
The Marriott Library has been a depository for Commission of the European Communities materials since 1973, and we currently receive most of the published European Union materials.
- International Publications
- International Statistics
- United Nations Official Documents System (a good place to start)
International Documents and Information
United Nations News Centre
Latest headlines, news, and press releases from the UN
Alfred Mowdood, Patent Librarian firstname.lastname@example.org
Allyson Mower, Copyright Librarian email@example.com
The University of Utah Marriott Library is one of 84 U.S. Patent and Trademark Resource Centers (PTRCs) in the country, and the only PTRC in Utah. We are celebrating the 30th Anniversary of our PTRC status throughout 2014. As a result of our designation as a PTRC, Marriott Library staff receive extensive training in providing patent and trademark research assistance.
Our collections of U.S. government publications include complete U.S. patents in a variety of formats and online from 1790 to present, and all federal trademarks that are registered or pending. Our collections contain additional indexes and finding aids for both patents and trademarks. All PTDL documents and their reference materials may be found in the library catalog and on the web pages for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) at www.uspto.gov.
Amy Brunvand, Librarian firstname.lastname@example.org
Government technical reports are written by government agencies, researchers working with government grants, and contractors. The Marriott Library has extensive uncataloged collections of technical reports on microform, and many government agencies maintain online technical report servers.
Government Documents Librarian
Patent and Trademark Librarian