The Marriott Library's Audio Studio assists the University of Utah community in integrating digital learning objects into curriculum/course projects. It houses a soundproof Studio with professional microphones and the capacity for creating, recording and editing digital sound files.
The Audio Studio is located within the Faculty Center, Room 1705-X, on Level 1 of the Marriott Library.
Performance Room, with microphones, of the Audio Studio
Students recording and engineering a School of Music performance
Set up a consultation
- Email to schedule a consultation
- Access can be arranged if you have your own equipment or just need access to the soundproof performance space
- Your files will be delivered via a flashdrive, disk or cloud account
- Sound editing or (limited) post production assistance available
- Assistance, advice, and instruction available for individuals or classes for sound recording, research interviews, sound editing, and sound art projects
Spectogram of sound
Types of Audio Recording Projects
- Course Lecture Podcasts for Faculty & Graduate Students
- Interviews, Focus Groups, Oral Histories
- Digital Storytelling & Documentary Film Narration
- Public Service Announcements for Public Radio broadcast/marketing
- Poetry, Spoken Word, Drama & Theater Auditions
- Automated Dialogue Recording for Student Films
- Anime and Video Game Audio/Soundtracks
- PowerPoint/Slide Show Narration
- Landline phone access for remote interview capability
- Sound Art
The Audio Studio is in a faculty space with limited weekday hours. It also requires arrangement with Media Studios personnel for most use.
This led to the establishment of a Podcast Booth:
The Podcast Booth is a user scheduled, soundproof recording facility in Protospace on Level 2
Users can record audio using a Snowball microphone and Audacity digital audio recorder.
During the Covid 19 pandemic, podcasting from home became a necessity.
To faciliate remote media creation, the Marriott Library purchased 9 podcasting kits: a Snowball USB microphone and hard plastic carry case. Check-out is available at the Knowledge Commons Desk, Level 2 Marriott Library. Students can check them out for 30 days. Staff and Faculty 3 days.
ContactRobert J. Nelson, Head Media Studios
1705-V Faculty Center