Family Reading Room
Developing Early Literacy Skills
Every Wednesday from 10-10:30 AM, beginning on September 14, a special story time will be offered to our youngest Utes. This story time is best suited for children aged 3-4, but all are welcome as we build pre-literacy skills through stories and special activities.
We will offer two parent engagement nights on October 5 & November 2.
Students: bring your kids and get some work done!
The Marriott Library proudly offers a reading room specifically intended for use by U of U student parents/guardians accompanied by children under the age of 12.
University of Utah students who are also parents/guardians and who are accompanied by their children under the age of 12 may access the room with their UCard. Children may not be left alone in the room for any reason at any time. If your UCard is not working on the door please see the Security & Information Desk.
- Four desktop computers
- Lactation Room that can accommodate up to four people.
- Child-sized furniture, books, a train set, learning activity toys, a whiteboard, and media for children. *Whiteboard dry erase markers can be purchased at the Library Store on Level 2.
- Juvenile Collection is located just outside of the Family Reading Room. These books may be checked out at the Security Desks on Level 1 and Level 3.
- Family/Gender Neutral restrooms with baby changing stations are located on Level 2 next to the Writing Center and Level 5 next to the entrance of the Library Administration Suite.
- Additional outlet covers may be requested at the Level 3 service desk, if needed.
- Two reservable family study rooms (rooms 3400C and 3400D) that can accommodate up to four people each. These rooms require a reservation and can be reserved at any library service desk. Parents/guardians must have their children present in the Family Reading Room in order to use these study rooms and are responsible for their children’s’ safety and behavior.
- Apple TV is provided for your use and enjoyment and is intended to be used through AirPlay or by using your network provider. For technical assistance, please call the Knowledge Commons at 801-581-6273.
If the equipment is not working in the Family Reading Room and you need help immediately, go to the Knowledge Commons service desk on Level 2 or call 801-581-6273. For less urgent issues, report a problem online.
ContactFor information, call:
801-581-8558 For library emergencies, call:
801-581-8600 Campus Police:
801-585-2677 (5-COPS) Knowledge Commons
Family Reading Room Gallery
Click to enlarge.