Academic Advising in the Library
Academic Advising Center
At the Academic Advising Center, we believe that it is important for you to know that academic advising is more than simply getting registered for classes. It is a shared relationship between you and your advisor and an essential part of your university experience. You must actively participate in order for advising to work effectively. If you have questions or need help with anything, the AAC advisors are available to assist you. Anytime you have a question or concern, or if you just want feedback or ideas about your academic or career plans, schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor.
The mission of Academic Advising is to assist new, transfer and transitioning students, through academic advising, to develop and implement individual plans for achieving educational and life goals.
- Help you determine preparatory course requirements for admission to your major
- Assist undeclared students explore academic options and identify a major
- Guide you through your University Graduation Requirements
- Assist students in understanding the philosophy, expectations, and goals of the General Education Requirements
- Explain how to generate and read a Degree Audit Report (DARS)
- Help students examine ways to integrate General Education and Bachelor's Degree requirements with major and career plans.
- Interpret test scores for credit or placement (e.g. AP, ACT, CLEP, Writing Placement Essay, etc.), and assist with appropriate course selection.
- Explain University policies and procedures (e.g. add, drop and withdrawal deadlines, academic renewal, course repeats, credit/no credit, etc.)
- Help students make connections to other departments and agencies on campus.
Appointments: Appointments with advisors can be scheduled by calling (801) 581-8146 or by going to http://advising.utah.edu/. If there is a particular advisor that you would like to meet with please let the person scheduling your appointment know of your preference, or select the advisor when you make your appointment online.
Quick Answers: If you have a question that only requires a quick answer you can call (801) 581-8146 and ask to speak with the Quick Answer Advisor, or stop by SSB 450.
Hours: Appointments are available from 9 am to 4:30 pm
Advisors Available in the Marriott Library
Location: Knowledge Commons (2nd floor, southwest corner)
Shelley Nicholson (Pre-Professional Advising)
Tam Mai (Pre-Professional Advising)
Juliana Espinosa (Major Exploration Advising)
Stephanie Begaye ((Major Exploration Advising)
Julia Vincent (Major Exploration Advising)
Amanda May (Bachelor of University Studies)
Kariann Hibbard (Bachelor of University Studies)
Other Academic Advising Center Locations:
Students Services Building (SSB) – Room 450, HPER North – Room 234 (Pre-Law Advising), Building 44 – Room 205 (Pre-Professional Advising, Premedical, Predental, and more)