Friends of the Marriott Library
For more than 40 years the Friends of the Marriott Library have helped the Marriott Library serve the University of Utah and our Intermountain community. The Friends have helped the library to acquire important collection materials and to encourage others to enjoy and appreciate the excellent materials and resources of the library through a series of annual events. The Friends also have developed a fund to support an annual research grant to encourage scholars' use of the special resources of the Marriott Library’s Special Collections holdings.
Mark Your Calendar for the Fifth Annual Book Collector's Evening
March 24, 2015 / 6:00 PM
Alta Club, 100 East South Temple
Join the University of Utah's Friends of the J. Willard Marriott Library for an eventful evening of rare books, a silent auction, and a presentation by Brad Cole, Associate Director of Special Collections, Utah State University. In his presentation entitled "Tramps, Snarks and Abysses: the Origins of Utah State Universities' Jack London Collection," he will discuss, with lively, anecdotal, specific, up-to-the-minute examples, how great archives and important research collections have been built and have relied so overwhelmingly over the decades, and still do to this day, on the passion and eccentricities of rare book dealers and private collectors.
The evening will also include an opportunity to share your book collecting adventures and favorite books with fellow aficionados.
Reservations: Please contact Judy Jarrow by March 18, 2015 at 801-581-3421 or email@example.com.
$45 per person
Friends of the Marriott Library Mission
- To provide for enrichment of learning, promote the public welfare and cultural opportunities through library programs.
- To sponsor lectures, informal discussion groups, exhibits, and other means for people to become acquainted and share their enthusiasm for learning, books, and other library media.
- To organize alumni and other friends of the University of Utah to participate in efforts to broaden public understanding and appreciation of the facilities, collections, work, and activities of the Marriott Library.
- To assist in expanding the resources of the library by encouraging monetary gifts, bequests and memorials, and the donation of collections and other library materials.
- To acquire unique publications and to publish significant works based on unusual holdings in possession of the Marriott Library.
Friends of the Marriott Library Board 2014-2015
Marsha Irwin, Chair
Gregory Thompson, Treasurer/Library Advisor
Alberta Comer, Dean of the J. Willard Marriott Library
Program Manager, Special Collections